Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cities XL

So I just purchased Cities XL 2011 after getting my video card reinstalled. I sure hope my video card sticks this out, because I also just purchased some computer repair related things to get the card working.

Anyway, late as it is, I have just purchased the game, and am excited to try it out. Anyone here have any experience with it?

I've never played it, but want to. I also just got Simcity 2013 which is awesome!
Yeah, Cities XL isn't a bad game at all. It is a bit buggy, but it's not like Simcity hasn't been buggy, so meh. The highways are probably my biggest dissapointment in the game. It's a real shame that they couldn't implement a decent highway system, I'm even looking into modding a much simpler alternative. Tongue

I still would like to try Simcity 2013. I haven't gotten around to that yet, and the price tag is a bit on the high end for me. Hopefully it goes down soon, I'd like to give it a run.

I haven't played much CXL, but from what I've seen in videos, it's a pretty chill game.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
It's a good game. But the bridges.. Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Ah yes, the bridges and many bugs...

(January 20th, 2014 at 6:58 AM)TheDoc Wrote: It's a good game. But the bridges.. Tongue

If you think the bridges in the game are bad, just wait until you start using highways... Tongue

It's a great game though. Big Grin

I just started my first serious city, and I'm liking the game so far. 3,000 inhabitants, and ~2,000 entering my coffers every (whatever unit of time CXL uses). I will get a pic later Tongue

Awesome! Be sure to show us some screenshots Tongue

And I think it runs by months.

I figured so. http://i.imgur.com/hdoVH58.jpg

That's one lonely farm out in the distance. Tongue

Uh yeah, I must expand upon that district... Tongue

I love how farms employ so many unskilled workers in the game. It takes a pretty significant area to really sustain them, surprisingly enough. Cities XL has a weird way of calculating stuff like that.

Anyway, I'm working on modding the game, and my first project will be to work on bridge heights. Wish me luck. Tongue

Cities XL's graphics are pretty amazing:

[Image: cuqa.jpg]
Street level

[Image: 94zx.jpg]
(almost) street level Tongue

[Image: clmb.jpg]
A (relatively) new screenshot of my city from the top of a nearby mountain, on a part of the map yet to be inhabited.

[Image: 6mx3.jpg]
Night's are great in the game

[Image: u3fh.jpg]
Sunrise in a downtown area

[Image: 5h4j.jpg]
Besides the dark highways, it doesn't look bad.

[Image: 6ex6.jpg]
Sunset over an older district of the city

[Image: j9hz.jpg]
[place description here]

[Image: 57me.jpg]

[Image: 7z53.jpg]
Another sunset looking towards the bay area

[Image: qoea.jpg]
I don't love the daytime graphics as much in the game personally, but the view of the terrain is great.

Overall, I think it's fair to say I'm pretty impressed. I haven't even maxed out the graphics requirements either. Then again, while the graphics are pretty good, I think it's pretty safe to say that the game isn't perfect either.

[Image: 73xi.jpg]
Looks cool, but where do you see these in real life? Tongue

[Image: q5ia.jpg]

Bridge failure, 100%. The bridge is actually pretty effective as far as its functionality, but due to the somewhat unrealistic height requirements, I had to make it at a weird angle in order to get it high enough. I'm working on a mod that will fix the bridge height requirements.