Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

phpbb 3.1 alpha released

Phpbb 3.1's alpha has been released, surprisingly ahead of MyBB 1.8's beta.

https://blog.phpbb.com/2013/10/15/phpbb-...w-release/

The most exciting improvement that I see is the actual mod system that has been introduced. This alone will make phpbb much better as a viable option for forum software, although I still think it needs a lot of work.

Thoughts so far?

They may be beating MyBB and may have a new shinny interface, but their code is still poop...
MyBB has never exactly been ahead in terms of its frontend interface. Its default theme looks like vbulliten with a slightly different shade of blue and a different header. Tongue

I'd take the flexibility of MyBB over a shiny default theme any day though. PhpBB has always been difficult to customize, and I don't see that changing overnight for them. However, that said, their new mod system is a HUGE step forward, hands down.

I don't use phpBB so I'm not that excited, and I don't intend to switch soon. However it i good to see it advancing.
And I find a number of similarities from the old phpBB2 default theme and MyBB's... Tongue
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
(October 16th, 2013 at 3:17 PM)simlink Wrote: I don't use phpBB so I'm not that excited, and I don't intend to switch soon. However it i good to see it advancing.
And I find a number of similarities from the old phpBB2 default theme and MyBB's... Tongue

I actually prefer the default phpBB2 theme over the MyBB default. I feel like the only one who actually liked subsilver. Tongue

Yea. I mean they are by no means exact, they definitely share similarities though. Tongue

[Image: PhpBB_2.0.png]

[Image: screen_45_1.png]
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
(October 16th, 2013 at 3:20 PM)simlink Wrote: Yea. I mean they are by no means exact, they definitely share similarities though. Tongue

Yup, they have almost exactly the same page layout, and similar colors. Big Grin

I took the images out of the quote. They're big and who wants to look at them twice, anyways? Tongue -sl

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MyBB 1.8.33 Released tc4me 5 1,816 January 3rd, 2023 at 11:37 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  phpBB Users: Please Review your Software Darth-Apple 4 2,985 November 29th, 2020 at 9:56 AM
Last Post: tc4me
  Simple PhpBB theme (getting my feet wet) Darth-Apple 3 2,318 October 23rd, 2020 at 7:05 PM
Last Post: Megan
  Phpbb 3.1 Darth-Apple 2 15,067 October 29th, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple