Poll: AMD or Intel
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
AMD
36.36%
4 36.36%
Intel
45.45%
5 45.45%
I like both
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AMD or Intel

@TC: Always had a thing for them myself.

AMD has made a major comeback. Their single-core benchmark scores are in shooting range of Intel's (Intel has roughly a 10% lead, give or take).

Surprisingly, on paper, AMD's architecture should beat Intel's. AMD processors have a wider decode width than Intel's (meaning theoretically, the processor can run more instructions simultaneously). AMD CPUs also have significantly more cache. It looks like Intel, despite having a more "narrow" processor, has the optimization to make up for the difference. It will be interesting to see how things turn out over the next couple of years.

That being said, AMD makes up for the difference in their multi-core results. Intel is not even coming close.

Tongue AMD is better for hacking, password cracking, compiling, and bitcoin mining then lol.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
AMD has been leapfrogging Intel in so many areas over these past couple of years. My next build will probably have a Ryzen processor!
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
The Zen 3 CPUs are so good it's amazing they pulled them off so quickly. I think I'll probably do the same if I buy another non-Apple computer. AMD seems like the better buy in almost every respect nowadays.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Ubuntu on an Intel Mac Darth-Apple 4 1,891 February 13th, 2023 at 6:09 PM
Last Post: tc4me