Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Autism

I scored on the spectrum according to that quiz. I can't believe it! My daughter has mild autism and I have known for years I have a learning disability but had no idea about this.
[Image: wJQ6N5d.gif]
Set made by me!  [Image: tgnF3i3.gif]
So I was tested for it once due to the way my brain works a bit differently and lack of desire for socializing.

I'm not autistic or really have any mental disability besides some PTSD which I've learned to live with.

though what they did find was that my brain has a really high level of neuro-plasticity and for some reason my ability to learn increased as I got older, to the point that I gained partial-photographic memory (mostly raw information, text, facts etc), and that some of it is crosswired giving me the ability to see music as shapes, colors, and patterns.
something which I thought was normal btw.

as for my lack of socializing, that's balanced out now but at the time it was because I couldn't relate to my peers, I was more interested in astronomy, physics, and engineering while they were more interested in normal teenager stuff.
also the PTSD didn't help, I had a deep hatred for general humanity back then.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Autism itself is difficult to understand only for us new neuros. As everyone here already knows, my Son 5 year old autism specktrum, 70%, has hyper-autism, he has something of every kind. Special talents, languages no matter what, numbers but he can not conduct a DIALOG. We communicate via Teacch, His preference: wind turbines, electricity pylons, building symmetrical figures, etc

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
I'm not an autist.

Results of your
Autism / Asperger's Screening Quiz

You scored a total of 18

You have answered this autism screening quiz in a way consistent with people who don't meet the diagnostic criteria for an austism spectrum disorder (which includes what used to be called Asperger's syndrome, now considered a type of autism).
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
My younger daughter is also autistic. We had her tested when she was two or three years old. She has always had some delays.
[Image: wJQ6N5d.gif]
Set made by me!  [Image: tgnF3i3.gif]
(July 9th, 2020 at 6:06 PM)Thomas Wrote: I'm not an autist.

Well you lucked out.
I’m an aspie. My case is milder today than it was In the past, and it’s not something I mention often these days. I’ve been lucky in a lot of ways to be able to overcome it and I consider it a strength. I use my own story to try to bring hope to others, but the disorder varies dramatically from one case to the next.

All in all, I’m glad that awareness of autism is increasing. We’ve come a long way in bringing new programs, treatments, and most importantly, acceptance of it within society. In the past, autistic children were treated as something to be fixed. With the increasing prevalence of diagnosis, more jobs, schools, and social groups are tapping into the unique advantages of those who are on the spectrum. Treatments have come a long way.

I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s a part of who I am. I’m very high functioning today and live a normal life with a normal job, normal friends, and normal relationships. I’m very blessed for it.