Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Project Journal] lain's art blog or something

If you were around a couple months ago, you might have caught when I bought an online/digital Art/drawing course called ART SCHOOL by Marc Brunet.
Thread here: http://makestation.net/Thread-Art-School...f-any-sort

This thread will serve as basically a place where I upload whatever I'm working on or have completed (if I can consider anything completed when I'm not the greatest artist.)

In any case I've been working through Term 1 Assignments and redoing them a couple times to make sure I get stuff down, and although I haven't even done actual colouring or shading in the lectures/assignments so far, I like to play around with it anyway. Even though I've done basically all of the assignments multiple times, it still takes me a long-a** time, for instance, one of the Term 1 lectures focuses on the idea of perspective and techniques for both 1-point and 2-point perspective. The following drawing is for 1-point only, and it still took me a good four hours or so. And I got lazy around the last hour, hence why the desk/counter have nothing on them.

[Image: NVMwN.png]

Just some rendition/idea of a sci-fi kinda room.
I don't like using straight lines the whole time, but my freehand is still way too rough. Need to work on pen control, I guess.
And yeah, coloring is also super rough since I was just going off whatever general colours I wanted.

But hey, it's something. And it doesn't look too terrible IMO, although I reckon I'm a bit biased Tongue
So yeah. I'll update this thread as I draw more and progressively get better at drawing.
Let's see how long it takes before I do sick concept-artist stuff B)
This looks great! Love the futuristic look of it.

How did you manage to get the lines so straight?

I think the straight lines used here make sense. Rooms and furniture, etc, are built with straight lines. The parts that aren't, also make sense. The only part that looks a little wonky is the chair legs. Everything else looks good. I even like the sparse use of color.
(April 29th, 2020 at 11:23 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: This looks great! Love the futuristic look of it.

How did you manage to get the lines so straight?

using the line tool built into every drawing app as a standard lmao

(April 29th, 2020 at 11:37 AM)Guardian Wrote: I think the straight lines used here make sense. Rooms and furniture, etc, are built with straight lines. The parts that aren't, also make sense. The only part that looks a little wonky is the chair legs. Everything else looks good. I even like the sparse use of color.

yeah you could tell that i was starting to get lazy lol, also since that shit is hard enough to wrap my head around and i feel like i was running out of room (in the spatial illusion) lol
[Image: i27Y2.png]

2 Point perspective practice, assignment said a street corner and no more than 3 buildings. 1 is not more than 3 so it'll do.
The humble electronics repair shop.

A lot less effort/work/time invested into this one in terms of detail because 1. I'm very lethargic from all the kratom I just consumed and 2. I realized something that I wanted to practice instead, and I got the results I wanted out of it.

The last image looks a little bland I noticed because all my lines were 3px wide. Even in the distance. So the illusion of depth just didn't quite work out. This time, I played around with line widths and it looks way better, not to mention 2 points adds way more depth to images.
I also tried using Clip Studio's built-in tool for varying line width based on whatever parameters you plug into it, and I'm not perfect with it yet, notice the building top back corners, but it does seem to work pretty well. Going to need more practice with it, maybe only use it for finalizing images, but overall I'm pleased with the results.

Also might try outline 'inking' like borderlands cell-shading styles. Not only does it vary the line widths again, but also emphasizes outlines a lot more.

I also bought a new tablet since the one I'm using now is incredibly old (Wacom Intuos4 M, PTK640), the newer one I have, Huion 1060PRO has broken-a** drivers so the tablet is non-functional, but I want more express keys since I've been using a ton of shortcuts, and the Wacom only has 8 buttons. My Huion had 12 + 16 soft keys at the top of the workable area. The new Huion H1060P is almost identical to the 1060PRO I have, except it has larger on-board memory capability, battery-free stylus, 4x the pressure levels (8192 up from 2048), pen tilt support, MicroUSB connectivity, since MiniUSB cables are harder to come by, and finally working drivers which look a lot more modern and intuitive. Oh, and you can use it with Android devices with an OTG cable. Set me back about 70$CAD (like 50$USD) which is actually dirt cheap, especially considering all its great reviews.
Great perspective. You can see the distance to the endless road on the left. Nice work.