Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Websites that Max out the CPU

I've never understood this. Is it ads? Is it bitcoin mining? 

I frequently open pages and am shocked at how much CPU they require. It freezes my whole computer. I suppose they are designed for computers that aren't 10 years old, but goodness, why is that necessary? 

Anyone else run into this, or is this just some sort of Chrome issue? I have adblock installed, but I have it paused for almost all websites just because I feel bad using it. Finna

well there's your problem darth, just use adblock, the ads eat up tons of memory.

that or overclock your cpu/increase ram and tell it to cache there.

a lot of it is that websites eat up a lot of cache as they download themselves to your computer when you use them, adverts do this continously.

it's why I use adblock, that and too many ads now are for adult stuff that I don't care about but can't get to go away even when I turn targeted ads on.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Yea, I suppose. A lot of websites will block you if you use it. I got annoyed with constantly getting blocked for it, so I just paused it. (Also these websites make their livelihood and pay the bills with ads, so I kinda feel a certain way disabling them... I usually just don't visit the website again if the ads are too bad.)

That said, I have used it on a few websites. I don't feel bad if they are so obnoxious that it's just outrageous all across the board... They should know better than to litter their site with so many ads. Finna

@Darth-Apple you know you can just whitelist sites that you don't mind ads on lol.
That's an idea too I suppose. Honestly I don't mind them being there if it supports a *reasonable* website... Finna

you could always just make said computer more powerful too lol.

I built my main rig back in 2013, no slow downs yet, but it was built with VR in mind at the time and is insanely beefy.

recently built a comparable one for a friend too who was incredibly impressed.

honestly, maybe try firefox see if the slow downs are less evident.

that and chrome uses a lot of memory resident processes to deal with tabs and such which means more ram = good.

so you've got some choices I guess.
I've noticed Firefox is way, way faster. Even makestation is much faster on Firefox than on Chrome...

I'm just not a huge fan of the interface of Firefox. Chrome is so much more streamlined.

I ended up using firefox on my old 2008 macbook because of it's slowness unfortuantely...
My new favorite browser is Iridium Browser or the other ungoogled CHROMIUM Angel

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Yeah... there a few monetization networks that use your browser to mine crypto to earn the site money while you visit rather than ads. Most users are oblivious to these things, but with ads losing favor, some websites have had to get creative.