Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Tutorial] Google Maps Usermap

Hy,How’s it going? say what do you think of the Google Maps Usermap in the Mybb extension?

Take it easy Tc4me

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
I’ve considered it, but I don’t know if we can/should without it being an opt-in type of a thing. It would also have to show only an approximate location (e.g. 75 mile radius) or it would be a privacy issue. Not sure if there are plugins that have the opt-in feature or not, or if people would opt in often enough for it to work well.

If there is an option that allows that, we will look into it. Not sure if there is or not at this point.

I got it, there is a finished one at Extend MyBB , but I know if you want to build your own :-)  Big Grin

Looks like this one does what we need it to do. Might need to modify it to be opt-in.

So let's do a community vote on this one. Let us know in this thread if you're interested in this being added!

Awesome! Oh yes, it would be great.

i'm indifferent on the vote but i certainly wouldn't use it if it were a feature.

i mean, realistically, it's not only google that gets the data of the person who inputs it. the site admins also have that data as it needs to be stored somewhere on the site. by extension, now google can associate a certain location with a certain online user and possibly do regional targeting for advertising or whatever.

and if anyone here uses a vpn (as i occasionally do) then the last thing you want to happen to your digital footprint is that someone figures out how to turn it into a digital trail.

y'all know that i'm a canuck and that i'm always cold.
that's broad enough to somewhat protect my identity, and you get a general enough idea of where i'm from.
imo that's all that's needed.
(April 17th, 2020 at 9:31 PM)Lain Wrote: i'm indifferent on the vote but i certainly wouldn't use it if it were a feature.

i mean, realistically, it's not only google that gets the data of the person who inputs it. the site admins also have that data as it needs to be stored somewhere on the site. by extension, now google can associate a certain location with a certain online user and possibly do regional targeting for advertising or whatever.

and if anyone here uses a vpn (as i occasionally do) then the last thing you want to happen to your digital footprint is that someone figures out how to turn it into a digital trail.

y'all know that i'm a canuck and that i'm always cold.
that's broad enough to somewhat protect my identity, and you get a general enough idea of where i'm from.
imo that's all that's needed.

That's my concern with it too. It'd be an opt-in feature specifically to avoid issues with privacy. I'm big on that sort of thing as well.

The argument has top priority, security and footprint .... Then I would leave it too. What always makes me laugh, everyone is hiding behind VPN etc. Tor .. and writes in Facebook where he lives, when he goes to the toilet, where he works, sends 3 million SMS WhatsApp and mails, and really believes he is online Anonymous: -) Funny, and on the topic of who what where and anonymously. it is being considered due to Corona, a mandatory app for smartphone. Locating who was where with whom ... then it's over with "Anonymous" we were never