Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Publisher-Developer model

The publisher-developer model (probably not invented by me Tongue) is the model used in most of today's gaming industry: Developers find a publisher and have their game marketed/release/etc under them. This can lead to horror stories, like EA or Activision, who continually buy and even destroy developers under their wing.

I despise this model myself. It is a perfect example of straight capitalism; another system I despise. Exploiting the workers for money should NEVER be tolerated. Which is why I hope EA will fall and indie devs will rise!
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
I see elements of that in the way the music industry is run as well. I'm just waiting for an artist somewhere out there to just make a website and sell their own music outside of the record company. The day that happens will be the day everything changes in the music industry.

As far as the gaming industry stands, I think that EA is probably one of the worst offenders. I straight-up don't care for them, and many people don't either.

The music industry indeed does exhibit this behavior. The RIAA (fascist pigs) are the prime example for it.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
It's nice to see someone has already taken that initiative. Hopefully the concept becomes more popular in the near future.

But that happens even with developers. Heck, I think Maxis did this back in the day. IIRC they bought out a developer so they could publish the game they were making as a last ditch effort to keep from going under. Then EA came along... but yea.

Then again, I may not be remembering that right at all.
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
Haha, I hate to say it because it's the sad truth, but yeah that's basically what happened, at least as far as I can remember. Tongue

Cinematronics, or something like that. It was based in Texas...
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]