Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can you Learn a Programming Language in Eight Hours?

So yes... I have an assignment due tonight. It involves creating factorials, sorting algorithms and palindromes in a language called Haskell. It is what is known as a functional language. You write it like you would write math expressions. It's completely and totally different than a normal programming language. 

I have eight hours to do it. And I'm two hours in. I'm allocating three hours to learn Haskell. 15 minutes to break (now), and another five hours to do the assignment itself. 

http://learnyouahaskell.com/chapters

So far, the link above is the only guide I have. I shall let you guys know how it goes. Finna

Learning a language? Yes
Learning Haskell if you have no prior functional paradigm experience? Haha good f*** luck.

Lazy evaluation youll pick up quick (freshman recursive fibonacci is basically lazy evaluation) but stuff like monads, lambdas and all the juicy haskell stuff will take you much longer.

That being said, you can probably write code without using all that fancy stuff so maybe you'll be fine.

Quit posting and get back to work.
Palindromes and factorials are done. Two down, four to go.

I'm about to pull my hair out on this one. This is completely different than anything I've ever seen before.

(March 6th, 2020 at 12:43 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Palindromes and factorials are done. Two down, four to go.

I'm about to pull my hair out on this one. This is completely different than anything I've ever seen before.

Ah the struggles of first-time users lmfao
I've never actually learned haskell but I've played with both (common) lisp and scheme/racket as well as F# (fancy .NET support from Microsoft and OOP paradigms too) 
It takes a long time to get used to, but once you do it's really pretty. Very pure computation.
I managed it. Lots of stack overflow and online tutorials. It wasn't so bad as far as understanding what it does. The syntax, however, was a whole different story.

There are some very interesting languages out there... Fortran is a whole rabbit hole all of its own. Finna

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Goto and Eval] The great evils of programming Darth-Apple 2 1,888 January 29th, 2021 at 5:48 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Official Assembly Language Thread. SpookyZalost 4 3,208 November 19th, 2020 at 5:14 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Which is the best programming language to learn first? derailed 13 15,251 October 28th, 2020 at 7:17 AM
Last Post: Divya165
  Learn PHP - Directory of Tutorials Darth-Apple 0 4,499 November 8th, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple