Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Debate] The general chat thread

I want to be completely honest here, I like the MyBB version of makestation the way it is, I've seen what IPB looks like (simtropolis), and well... mybb may be a little bulkier but it seems a lot more intuitive and user friendly.

as for the emails issue, you could always setup a Gmail relay or something to send messages from a "trusted source" worst case you might want to write google about it and see what they have to say.
Personally, I love MyBB. IPB is usable at least. I absolutely hate vBulletin and SMF. Unless you're going to be investing a LOT of time and effort into it, I would say stick with it where it is for now. I'm personally not a fan of licensed software.
Thanks for the feedback @zalost and @guardian!

There are definitely no plans to really overhaul the place or to convert software at this point; we will be sticking with MyBB. We've been using this softare since almost the beginning, and it has served us great. The only thing I don't really like about MyBB is its default styling and theming, but we've done quite a bit of work overhauling the bulk of that over here. There are a lot of details where paid software has an edge (responsive designs, advanced profiles, CMS related features and site-integration, etc.) but for the essentials, MyBB is very clean and easy to use, and you can write plugins to fill in the gaps.

Honestly, it is almost my opinion that IPB and MyBB are really the only two truly viable solutions left for real communities. Xenforo isn't trash, but even with Xenforo, I find it a little excessive at times, and it can be a little annoying for the user. You can customize IPB or MyBB about as much as you like and make them look and feel exactly as you desire. With Xenforo, it's always gonna look like Xenforo, and that is a major pet peeve of mine...

Vbullshit, SMF, and pretty much everything else on the market is nothing more than pure trash. If we ever expanded to being much more all-encompassing than just a simple forum (major CMS features, multiple site sections, articles and content databases, etc.), that's where IPB might have a little more of an edge, but at this point we just aren't looking at anything of that sort necessarily being practical. All things considered, I think MyBB has served us pretty well.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of being a member of a XenForo forum, and especially not administrating one. Definitely not a fan of that one either.

Thanks for the clarification though. Cool
I've only ever used one Xenforo forum, Forums.spacebattles.net, and it works fine... but I'm not a Web designer... come find me though if you ever need a VR page made lol
(May 24th, 2017 at 6:36 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: I've only ever used one Xenforo forum, Forums.spacebattles.net, and it works fine... but I'm not a Web designer... come find me though if you ever need a VR page made lol

We should make a VR based Makestation. Tongue

hey guys I picked up my second item Smile

Media Fanatic

For all those JFK  U -tubes I watch all the time !
Trying to save for those expensive ones right now. Tongue
Congrats @bben!

(May 24th, 2017 at 5:52 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote:
(May 24th, 2017 at 6:36 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: I've only ever used one Xenforo forum, Forums.spacebattles.net, and it works fine... but I'm not a Web designer... come find me though if you ever need a VR page made lol

We should make a VR based Makestation. Tongue

Believe it or not it's possible, ever heard of Janus VR?
it's a VR based web browser for mac, windows, and linux.

you can totally link to the main makestation with an access terminal screen in the VR world, then build a special site/hub/room around it.
I might look into that!

Been away for a few days. Life got busy. How's everyone?
I've been busy myself. Sick for most of last week, missed a couple days of work. I know the feeling...

(June 4th, 2017 at 3:19 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: I've been busy myself. Sick for most of last week, missed a couple days of work. I know the feeling...

Oh, that's no good! Hope you feel better. 
bah, you guys need jobs like mine, just become nocturnal first Tongue
(June 4th, 2017 at 8:03 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: bah, you guys need jobs like mine, just become nocturnal first Tongue

No more night shift for me. I enjoyed it, but my wife is adamantly against it. 
(June 4th, 2017 at 3:40 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 4th, 2017 at 8:03 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: bah, you guys need jobs like mine, just become nocturnal first Tongue

not enough all night fun time on your days off? lol
(June 5th, 2017 at 3:34 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:
(June 4th, 2017 at 3:40 PM)Guardian Wrote:

not enough all night fun time on your days off? lol

No, she got bored.