Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Zalost's Gridzone

(March 24th, 2020 at 4:43 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I feel that. Once you have something you like, may as well keep it. It’s a pet peeve of mine when people change things just to change ‘em. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. Finna

Ikr? I like mine because I can ssh into my site and update the html from an old phone if I want to, no special software needed besides nano  Tongue
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Thank god you’re not using vi/vim. All I’m gonna say. Tongue

Bah, I don't even get involved in the of text editor wars.

It's sorta silly in hindsight.
True. But nano is much better in my experience at least. Less confusing and more powerful. If a server doesn’t have it, that’s the first thing I install.

And htop too I suppose. I’m surprised how many servers don’t have that installed.

I just use nano as a basic editor lol, always have. There's so much you can do with sudo nano file.html
That's the old fashioned way for sure. It's underrated. A text editor for code should not be 10.1 GB (xcode, looking at you). Finna Tongue

Roflol.

Right? If commode basic can exist in less than a kb of storage I think a text editor can go smaller.

Like a few dozen bytes Maybe if it's written in assembly and loads a character file during boot.
Just think. They used to put entire operating systems on a floppy disk. Now they require three blu ray's worth of data just for a game.

Games make sense at least, most of it is audio files, textures, and a game world that's running as is so popular these days with open world games. The is is inconsequential compared. Honestly you could have a game written to run on bare metal using graphics drivers, an in house renderer, and the Linux kernel. Just put the game in and boot it like the old days.
I suppose. Before 4K and HD became a thing, games on a DVD were easily do-able. (Heck, SC4 fit on two CDs). But with HD, there should be a reasonable cap at 25GB or so. There is certainly no reason for games to be beyond that.

Much of the reason that they are comes down to a long list of unnessary lack of optimization. Audio ends up uncompressed. They use horribly optimized textures and graphics, and so forth, simply because the space is available. If they did even some basic optimization, they could cut it in half easily.

Quality is great, but we're not at the point yet where games can be downloaded in 15 minutes. 80GB games are overkill, at least for the time being. Yes, storage is cheap, but those games still have to be downloaded. That takes ages.

Boy, I miss the old days. When games were fun because of the games. And when you had to fit it on a CD, run it on bare metal as you say, and play it for the gameplay itself.

You Know, download speeds and file size are good arguments for physical game media ಠಿ_ಠ
The downside to physical media too is that if you lose or damage the disc, the game is gone.

All in all, I'm for having both. You have the physical disc, and have a downloadable version online. That's what a lot of games nowadays are doing (Best Buy, etc), but that being said, people are still going for the steam copies overwhelmingly. Huge games are here to stay, unfortunately. Storage is only getting cheaper as the years go by, but they still take ages to download.

That being said, I love nostalgia. Your site has a lot of it sprinkled throughout. Smile

(March 26th, 2020 at 2:58 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: The downside to physical media too is that if you lose or damage the disc, the game is gone.

All in all, I'm for having both. You have the physical disc, and have a downloadable version online. That's what a lot of games nowadays are doing (Best Buy, etc), but that being said, people are still going for the steam copies overwhelmingly. Huge games are here to stay, unfortunately. Storage is only getting cheaper as the years go by, but they still take ages to download.

That being said, I love nostalgia. Your site has a lot of it sprinkled throughout. Smile
Thanks, as a student of technological history I'm always striving to have the past show through in my work (◡ ω ◡)
With neocities, do they give you any sort of template to work with or do you do it from scratch?

Oh no, they give you a blank page and you have to build everything from the ground up, just like geocities back in the day which it was inspired by.
So it's essentially a directory of self-built web pages?

I like how it's from the ground up. Keeps things unique. Designing from scratch is oh-so underappreciated nowadays with Wordpress and everything else.

Right? It's awesome how many sites on there look so different from what you expect, some are even experiments in new kinds of web design. There's even a couple that use html5 to build pages using 3D navigation.
3D design seems a bit... much (to me at least). In a way, I'm glad the web has gone back to flatter designs. It's easier on the eyes. If only they cut out some of the javascript while they were at it, because pages still load wayyyy too slowly on a lot of websites.

I'm a big fan of somewhat retro designs. Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better. People knew how to make good designs 15 years ago too.