Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any GIMP users?

yes Tongue
Portable version is the one version that has been formatted to fit on a USB drive.

http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pi...p_portable
Nice, I wasn't aware that there was a portable version. I'll have to stick it on my flash drive.

Of course I currently have an operating system on my flash drive. I'll have to get rid of that first.

I use a wacom stylus + drawing tablet I got off craigslist for like $25, but it's only compatible with gimp + linux... 0_o

anyway I've been using gimp and inkscape in combination to do graphics art for years now, it's my preferred every day driver and it works on everything even my amazon kindle fire tablet Big Grin

interestingly enough when my sister took a class in computer graphics art a couple years ago they trained them on gimp not photoshop lol
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
i used to use it, the portable version...but i rather go with paint.net program...its much lighter in comparision to the almost 1GB file size of gimp
(June 5th, 2018 at 12:43 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: interestingly enough when my sister took a class in computer graphics art a couple years ago they trained them on gimp not photoshop lol

Didn't want to pay for PS licenses. :Tongue

I'm all for it though, show people there are great free options out there!
paint.net is fine but I've yet to really beat the multi-OS combination of gimp and inkscape.

besides gimp works with my wacom bamboo out of the box lol.
I use GIMP
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Yeah, GIMP is fun. Don't like the name, though, ha ha. It's against the disabled. Anyway, I'd like to learn more about the software - but like most of it - it has a huge learning curve and it's tough finding the time.
Been a GIMP user for many years now. I remember the first time I used GIMP, i was trying to give an image a transparent background and I didn't know how to. How long of a way we have come, my friend.
I am right with you Vaulient. When I first started using GIMP I was so lost...but I was also lost when I used a copy of PS. Impressively there is some good documentation available for GIMP on how to do what you are looking to accomplish within the program.
Bumping this a bit... Finna

Not a graphics designer, per se, but I think that a lot of it is not just learning the tools, but learning design itself. A good friend of mine is going to Full Sail down in Florida to be a designer, and they aren't necessarily teaching the tools so much as they are teaching the principles. He says those are equally hard.

GIMP isn't bad at all, but it's not just the tools you have to learn.

Honestly gimp can be self taught, it's how I learned lol. There's lots of nice guides on the wired as well.
I came across Photopea recently and find it remarkable how someone's managed to create most of Photoshop in the browser. It's my go-to now when I need to do something quickly.
WebDevZone - A new, friendly web development community
I prefer to use paint.net, something easier for beginners to use Angel

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
I use it myself, but only for relatively simple things (that are still not MS Paint-simple Tongue ).

I'm bad at digital graphics design in general.
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Paint.NET is BASED but unfortunately it's not open source so by default it infringes on my rights and beliefs.
GIMP is okay if you're doing actual photo editing like anything regarding filters or manipulation of an existing image, but even their own docs say that it's not for drawing: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-rectangular.html

For drawing, they recommend Inkscape but that's too oriented for vector graphics (i.e. it's an Adobe Illustrator alternative instead of a Photoshop alternative)
Personally, the best opensource free paint software I've come across is Krita. The UI is gorgeous, has like 90% of the same features Photoshop has, is more lightweight in terms of CPU and RAM usage (not to mention install size) and works perfectly cross-platform for all the Windows kids.

But I just use Clip Paint Studio since I got it on sale for 25$ (every three months or so) and it's more oriented towards drawing animays and their community resource repository for brushes and whatnot is f*** HUGE (not to mention free 10GB cloud storage for your assets and drawings)
(June 2nd, 2020 at 9:39 PM)Lain Wrote: Paint.NET is BASED but unfortunately it's not open source so by default it infringes on my rights and beliefs.
GIMP is okay if you're doing actual photo editing like anything regarding filters or manipulation of an existing image, but even their own docs say that it's not for drawing: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-rectangular.html

For drawing, they recommend Inkscape but that's too oriented for vector graphics (i.e. it's an Adobe Illustrator alternative instead of a Photoshop alternative)
Personally, the best opensource free paint software I've come across is Krita. The UI is gorgeous, has like 90% of the same features Photoshop has, is more lightweight in terms of CPU and RAM usage (not to mention install size) and works perfectly cross-platform for all the Windows kids.

But I just use Clip Paint Studio since I got it on sale for 25$ (every three months or so) and it's more oriented towards drawing animays and their community resource repository for brushes and whatnot is f*** HUGE (not to mention free 10GB cloud storage for your assets and drawings)

Paint.NET is no longer open source, but freeware. 

that is a purely political difference

Why "Open Source" misses the goal of Free Software is a more current and better version of this article. For historical reasons, we leave this article.

Although free software would give you the same freedom under a different name, it makes a big difference what name we use: different words convey different ideas.

In 1998, some in the free software community began using the term “open source software” instead of free software to describe what they were doing. The term “open source” was quickly associated with a different approach, philosophy, values, and even other criteria for which licenses are acceptable. The free software and open source movements are now independent movements with different views and goals, although we are working together on some projects.

The main difference between the two movements lies in their values, their views of the world. For the open source movement, the question of whether software should be open source is a practical question, not an ethical one. Someone put it this way: "Open source is a development methodology, free software is a social movement." Non-free software is a suboptimal solution for the open source movement. Non-free software is a social problem for the free software movement, and free software is the solution.

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gimp Brush - Help Guardian 4 7,445 June 22nd, 2018 at 8:50 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Logo design - Inkscape or Gimp? Darth-Apple 7 12,826 May 16th, 2018 at 11:44 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost