Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any GIMP users?

There are many graphics design solutions available on the market today, with some being pricier than others. Tongue Personally, I don't have the money to spend on photoshop or some other expensive solution, so the GIMP cuts it for me. It also has some pretty neat features, and is really great for animations, etc... I've been able to do some pretty cool stuff with it.

Any other GIMP users here?

I use both GIMP and photoshop. Depends on what I need to do. For quick touchups GIMP works well, but for really in depth editing I usually use Photoshop.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
I think I'd rather use photoshop for in depth stuff myself. Right now I can't afford it, so the GIMP is the next best thing.

I also just started using inkscape, which is a really great tool for logos. Definitely not for photos, but still a really nice program.

I typically use GIMP in the event I need more special effects on my photos  or if I need a transparent background (such as those for my website). Otherwise everything is done externally and imported (re: copy/paste Tongue) into pain and saved. If it needs to be better quality I'll use GIMP as well.
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
Theres no paint on Linux. But there's no use for it in linux... prtscn brings up a snapshot window that allows you to select a region to take a picture of, choose a window, or the entire screen and even delay it to "set things up" and then gives you the option to edit or save it. But thats just in my distribution.
Heh, that's kind of neat I must say. It'd certainly be handy if you only want a small section of your screen to be in the shot. Is there an option to have only the contents (ie. not the window frame) of the window taken? I know I usually end up cropping out the URL bar, other tabs open, etc. if the photo involves a browser window, unless the URL is somehow needed.
No, but the region select is good for that (its basically boxing in the area which you want top take the photo in)
I don't normally use paint except for when I'm adding text to an image or if I'm resizing/cropping it, but for those things it happens to be very useful. I have yet to find a good alternative to it for Linux, since doing basic things in the GIMP can be a bit of a pain.

I had no idea you used Linux, Blake. Tongue
Anyways, GIMP can be a bit complicated for basic functions. But I'm slowly learning. Smile
(May 29th, 2013 at 12:59 AM)simlink link Wrote: I had no idea you used Linux, Blake. Tongue

I've actually been using it less lately, since I need a lot of software that only runs well on Windows. I still have to remain sharp with Linux due to the fact that I have to manage this server. Tongue

(May 29th, 2013 at 12:59 AM)simlink link Wrote: Anyways, GIMP can be a bit complicated for basic functions. But I'm slowly learning. Smile

Agreed. Once I got the hang of it, things were pretty easy, but at first it's a bit overwhelming. On the bright side, there are plenty of great script-fus and extensions that make the GIMP even more awesome. Big Grin

Heh, true. Wouldn't want the server dieing on us. Tongue
It's a lot of work. That's for sure... But I like having full control. Big Grin

(May 4th, 2013 at 1:40 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: There are many graphics design solutions available on the market today, with some being pricier than others. Tongue Personally, I don't have the money to spend on photoshop or some other expensive solution, so the GIMP cuts it for me.

Same here. PhotoShop is really expensive, however, I believe there's a monthly subscription plan that one can use instead.
It's cheaper if you're using the program for a short time period.

(May 4th, 2013 at 1:40 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: It also has some pretty neat features, and is really great for animations, etc... I've been able to do some pretty cool stuff with it.

Agreed! I've been using GIMP for years. I like the effect tools and how it's possible to add more by downloading scripts for the program, etc. On my dual-core CPU desktop with Vista, it took forever to load GIMP after adding hundreds of brushes and fonts. Now that I wiped the PC, I don't have to worry about that ever again, however, I did lose a lot of cool tools for graphic designing and some limited time offer downloads from popular resource websites.

(May 4th, 2013 at 1:40 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Any other GIMP users here?

I'm a GIMP user, but I also stepped into the dark side (PhotoShop).
I agree. There is quite a lot that you can do with some good extensions for GIMP. I have quite a few script-fus installed, and sometimes all it takes is some gradient fills and a few extensions to make an awesome image.

It's also really great for text effects. I've been able to do a lot of really neat alpha-to-logo effects with GIMP, and I can't really see the need to use anything different for those sorts of things.

I never got the hand of GIMP, but I do have a portable version of it just in case I don't have PS on a computer.
Sorry Dear I have no IDEAExclamationIdeaExclamation
For me GIMP can be a complicated Huh for basic functions.
I only have PSE. I'd love to have CS(whateverversionnumber)
(August 3rd, 2013 at 1:55 AM)forthwall Wrote: I never got the hand of GIMP, but I do have a portable version of it just in case I don't have PS on a computer.

Portable version...? Do you mean that you have the program installed on a laptop?

(August 5th, 2013 at 9:56 AM)Prashant Wrote: Sorry Dear I have no IDEAExclamationIdeaExclamation
For me GIMP can be a complicated Huh for basic functions.

It takes time to learn your way around the program. It was difficult for me when I started, but I kept at it and eventually learned the ropes. For now, just explore the tools that the program offers. Once you learned what X Y and Z are for, try creating something. Then, Google some GIMP tutorials and try those for the experience. After a couple of months, you'll be a little better, at least.

(August 5th, 2013 at 5:09 PM)cheesesc4 Wrote: I only have PSE.

What's PSE? PhotoShop Elements...?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gimp Brush - Help Guardian 4 7,443 June 22nd, 2018 at 8:50 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Logo design - Inkscape or Gimp? Darth-Apple 7 12,817 May 16th, 2018 at 11:44 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost