Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RFID based shop with no employees in china

you've all probably heard about the amazon go store in Seattle

well I was going over my feed and I got a video today about something that actually predates it called the tutu market. (it's china what can ya say? lol).

created by tencent and alibaba (if you've ever imported anything you'll recognize the latter).
this market is completely employee less, think 7/11 without the guy at the counter.

that's not the crazy part though and here's where the tech comes in, the entire store keeps track of it's Items using a super cheap Radio Frequency Identification tag based system comprising of a system on a chip which is glued to a piece of paper with a circuit board painted onto it then another piece of paper glued on top to protect it.

I realize the job market is terrible but sometimes I really do wish for basic stuff stores like this could be implemented more, it's probably the future of things anyway.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I heard a lot about that store when it first came out. To be honest, I love all the technology, but it kinda depersonalizes it a bit. That said I have never shopped there and what I would have to say on that front is not something that hasn't been said many times before, but I'd almost want to see that technology implemented a whole lot more in stores that are more traditional, in the sense that they do retain their employees. It could be innovated to significantly curb theft, thereby reducing costs, thereby either creating more jobs (probably not) or reducing prices to make the store more competitive while not killing all jobs in the store.

But for better or for worse, it's probably the way of the future at least in some capacity. And Amazon has already pioneered a lot of stuff. Tongue

(June 22nd, 2018 at 2:59 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I heard a lot about that store when it first came out. To be honest, I love all the technology, but it kinda depersonalizes it a bit. That said I have never shopped there and what I would have to say on that front is not something that hasn't been said many times before, but I'd almost want to see that technology implemented a whole lot more in stores that are more traditional, in the sense that they do retain their employees. It could be innovated to significantly curb theft, thereby reducing costs, thereby either creating more jobs (probably not) or reducing prices to make the store more competitive while not killing all jobs in the store.

But for better or for worse, it's probably the way of the future at least in some capacity. And Amazon has already pioneered a lot of stuff. Tongue

yeah lol but amazon wasn't the first on this one... they are the first in the west though and the most likely to make it widespread.

say what do you think they will pioneer majorly first, drone delivery or workerless shops?

personally I think the drone delivery will take off first, they've got the infrastructure to support that more than the other nationally right now.
Someone has to maintain the systems that make this work, thereby creating new jobs in a more skilled field as well.

Society evolves, and so does the job market. Laborers rioted when threshers were invented, but they came to accept it and moved on to other industries. And on, and on, and on...
(June 22nd, 2018 at 8:23 PM)Guardian Wrote: Someone has to maintain the systems that make this work, thereby creating new jobs in a more skilled field as well.

Society evolves, and so does the job market. Laborers rioted when threshers were invented, but they came to accept it and moved on to other industries. And on, and on, and on...

from what I understand a lot of people are unhappy with self checkouts, I mean there's not much of a time difference but a lot of workers were unhappy with having 1 employee handle 8 sco's vs 1 cashier per check out, and a lot of customers were unhappy because they can be clunky to use.
(June 22nd, 2018 at 8:25 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: from what I understand a lot of people are unhappy with self checkouts, I mean there's not much of a time difference but a lot of workers were unhappy with having 1 employee handle 8 sco's vs 1 cashier per check out, and a lot of customers were unhappy because they can be clunky to use.

I prefer them. I bag (if needed) exactly as I wish, and can get out of the store much quicker.
(June 22nd, 2018 at 8:26 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 22nd, 2018 at 8:25 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: from what I understand a lot of people are unhappy with self checkouts, I mean there's not much of a time difference but a lot of workers were unhappy with having 1 employee handle 8 sco's vs 1 cashier per check out, and a lot of customers were unhappy because they can be clunky to use.

I prefer them. I bag (if needed) exactly as I wish, and can get out of the store much quicker.

see that right there puts you in the 40% who adopted them well and prefer them, it's still a 40/30/30 split for prefer, neutral, dislike
I've always used them too. At Walmart you almost have to because the line is ridiculous if you want an actual cashier. At most other places I haven't had much of an issue. The only thing I don't like is the glaring "do you have coupons, do you have a rewards coupon, are you SURE you don't have coupons? What's your phone number... yada yada" that it gives you. It's painfully annoying.

If they could silence these machines, I'd be happy, but I suppose you can't have it all. I agree with Guardian, I think they are much faster going in and out.

(June 22nd, 2018 at 8:37 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I've always used them too. At Walmart you almost have to because the line is ridiculous if you want an actual cashier. At most other places I haven't had much of an issue. The only thing I don't like is the glaring "do you have coupons, do you have a rewards coupon, are you SURE you don't have coupons? What's your phone number... yada yada" that it gives you. It's painfully annoying.

If they could silence these machines, I'd be happy, but I suppose you can't have it all. I agree with Guardian, I think they are much faster going in and out.

eugh don't get me started... I usually shop there in the middle of the night but I went during the day one time and they literally told me to get out of line and go use the self check outs, I was like... wft?! 0_o

still I think they would benefit heavily from mass automation, hell I don't even mind shopping online, with VR and 3D scanning you can try before you buy and have everything sized to your exact proportions.
Then nobody would have jobs Leo. We'd all be jobless. Tongue

(June 22nd, 2018 at 8:43 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Then nobody would have jobs Leo. We'd all be jobless. Tongue

you say that... but what about the maintenance jobs, the engineers to keep it running, the technicians to keep the software side happy, my gods imagine not having to deal with stupid people every day?! 0_0 GLORIOUS!

anyway... back on topic lol, anyone hear where amazon plans to open their next GO store?
(June 22nd, 2018 at 8:37 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: If they could silence these machines, I'd be happy, but I suppose you can't have it all. I agree with Guardian, I think they are much faster going in and out.

Oh. My. God.....

The ones at my local Giant:

"Please place your [SCREAMING]ZUCCHINI![/SCREAMING] in the bag!"

Really worried about buying something personal. Tongue
(June 23rd, 2018 at 3:16 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 22nd, 2018 at 8:37 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: If they could silence these machines, I'd be happy, but I suppose you can't have it all. I agree with Guardian, I think they are much faster going in and out.

Oh. My. God.....

at least it isn't going full on borg on ya! lol Tongue

Oh. My. God.....

Please place the "SANITARY TOWEL" in the bagging area.
Please place the "CONDOMS" in the bagging area.
Please place the "MAN SIZE NAPPIES" in the bagging area.
"UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA"
"PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE"
* Harry K. runs away
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
(June 24th, 2018 at 9:18 AM)Harry K. Wrote:

Oh. My. God.....

* Harry K. runs away

I'm actually super glad the one's here aren't that specific lol.
(June 24th, 2018 at 10:02 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:

Oh. My. God.....

* Harry K. runs away

Fortunately, as far as I can remember it says "Please place the item in the bagging area" here too. However you can guarantee that if you were buying the above, the system would crash and need assistance. Tongue
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
(June 24th, 2018 at 2:07 PM)Harry K. Wrote:
(June 24th, 2018 at 10:02 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:

Oh. My. God.....

* Harry K. runs away

Fortunately, as far as I can remember it says "Please place the item in the bagging area" here too. However you can guarantee that if you were buying the above, the system would crash and need assistance. Tongue
I can't imagine why... oh wait... if man kind's tendency to refer to inanimate objects in the female term stays true then...
wow I just realized the crash might be related to a a sco  Blush ing rofl