Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Ancient windows versions

Why would they still use Windows 3.11 on one of those?

There are some people who still use OS/2, so I mean it's not that surprising.

So, I do not know if it is allowed to point to another page where this software is available, but Please HERE, if it is prohibited, ADMIN !!please delete it again

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
This is allowed @tc4me. Thank you for sharing. Smile

(April 6th, 2020 at 5:57 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: This is allowed @tc4me. Thank you for sharing. Smile
 Ok Thank You  Rolleyes

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Did someone say windows 3.1?

[Image: rMBK6Pp.png]

Tongue

Works in dosbox with some tinkering btw.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Wow. Surprised these are still out there. Tongue Great find!
(April 6th, 2020 at 3:10 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Why would they still use Windows 3.11 on one of those?

Who knows, but apparently the TOS (Train Operating System) runs off it. The CCTV system is apparently XPe.
(April 6th, 2020 at 10:52 PM)s3_gunzel Wrote:
(April 6th, 2020 at 3:10 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Why would they still use Windows 3.11 on one of those?

Who knows, but apparently the TOS (Train Operating System) runs off it. The CCTV system is apparently XPe.

Isn't XP similar to Windows 10 Embedded? 

I wasn't aware that XP was still in use in that flavor.

XP is more stable than 10, and takes less resources.
Don't forget the Dreamcast was able to run games using Windows CE, which evolved into XPe.
Also... Why has nobody tried to port Halo to the Dreamcast?!0_o.

But yeah, can confirm, windows xp is one of if not the most stable version of Windows ever made.  In all my 16 years of using it I've never had a blue screen or a crash.  Been using it since my first computer in 2004.

Just wish there were community patches to make x64 better or expand x32 beyond 4gb of ram... I know it's possible because Linux does it.  Cool
I haven't used any truly ancient versions of Windows for a while now; however, I do have an amusing story about them from my youth.

The first computer I used was my dad's Windows 95 desktop, when I was five years old. I immediately figured out that the '95' in the operating system's name related to the fact that the year was 1995. 

This all made sense to me, until about a year later, when I first saw a computer at school. Now, my school were a bit behind the times compared to my family, so they were still using Windows 3.1. Extrapolating from what I already knew about Windows 95, I figured out that this computer must have been made in the year 3. Not 1993, not 1903, not even 1003: just plain old AD 3. As for the '1' after the decimal point, I figured that this must have meant it was released in January.  

"Wow, a computer from when Jesus was alive Huh !" I thought to myself. "I wonder whether he ever used it?"

Yep... taking "Ancient Windows versions" to a whole new level Big Grin !!!!
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
(May 27th, 2020 at 12:47 PM)Kyng Wrote: "Wow, a computer from when Jesus was alive Huh !" I thought to myself. "I wonder whether he ever used it?"

Yep... taking "Ancient Windows versions" to a whole new level Big Grin !!!!

That's hilarious! Tongue

That school REALLY needs an upgrade.
roflol that's pretty funny.

yeah windows 95 was the first one to switch from the old model of windows 1, 2, 3, etc.

btw, windows 10 is the 10th version of windows in that it's NT 10.0

windows 2000 through 8.1 were NT 5.0 through 6.3
and windows 95 through Millenium were 4.0 through 4.9.

weird I know but that's how it is.

only windows 1, 2, 3/3.1/3.11 and 10 show the actual version.

NT btw stands for new technology but still counts as windows versions and only differentiates using the older DOS based kernel and the newer NT based kernel

so technically it's windows version NT-10.0.19041.264 as of the latest update.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone else think Firefox is going through new versions a bit fast? Darth-Apple 3 7,601 December 27th, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Last Post: zoldos