Poll: Eugenics, where do you stand
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pro: Augment me!
50.00%
2 50.00%
Against: nazi super soldiers are gunna kill us all!
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Genetic Enginering of people/Eugenics

so where do you stand on the topic of eugenics?

on the one hand we could solve all the worlds health problems, no more cancer, no more allergies, flu goes away far more quickly, people start off super-intelligent, becoming fat is far more difficult, and theoretically you can choose your appearance down to the color of your eyes, skin, and hair after you've matured.

on the other, there's a lot of potential problems, and of course there's the issue of it being controlled by the few that can afford it thus giving them a legitimate advantage over someone who can't.

and of course the unknowns... We wouldn't want a khan (startre) or a Kane if you've played C&C.

so where do you stand?

personally I'm pro eugenics but only if it's available to everyone and only if it's to benefit people and tested thoroughly.

for example I'd love to have my allergies cease to exist with a few treatments.
Most attempts at eugenics in the past have been forced on their subjects. Not something that people have a choice in. If people legitimately have a 100% educated free-willed choice, then I don't see why not.
see that's exactly where I stand on the issue, as long as people are given the choice and there's clear evidence for the results being positive I don't see the problem.

although one modern day eugenics thing that's still being done, DNA testing before marriage, it's been done since my grandparent's time and it's not done everywhere but I don't see why testing for genetic disorders and such is a bad thing.
It'd be kinda shitty if someone didn't want to marry you because there was a high chance your kids would have autism though... :/

(June 13th, 2017 at 1:08 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: It'd be kinda shitty if someone didn't want to marry you because there was a high chance your kids would have autism though... :/

that's what gene therapy is for  Big Grin
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I hate it. It's an abomination. Why wasn't it done away with the Nazis, sheesh? Anyway, as I am hinting at - I think things are better left in God's hands, or if you're an atheist, nature's hands.
@ the jason:
to each their own right?

I'm more of a moderate.

see when you consider that the human body already has a few retroviruses that control things like puberty and such, it's sorta like we were left a software Development kit.
only humans aren't fully ready to go whole hog.
but for things like autism, cancer, aging, ect?
sure, why not?
justt don't get too crazy and go full eugenics lol.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]