Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ever taken an uber?

Personally I think it's a bit sketch. But I've taken them before. Got drunk downtown at a club and well, didn't feel like driving, my roomate at the time ended up taking a girl out afterwards, and well, my lonely a** ended up in an uber. I'm responsible. I don't drink and drive. Responsible annoying drunk people end up in ubers for a reason, right?

It honestly wasn't too bad. Got picked up in a Civic, had a good ride back and was good to go.

I wouldn't say ride sharing is in the least going to dominate long-term. People like having their own vehicles but ride sharing won't leave you stranded if you're ever without your car. But the incentives for Uber drivers are terrible. Insurance companies won't insure you, and well, the pay kinda sucks when you factor in that you've gotta do your own car maintenance too. Thought about driving for them, but nah... I have better ways of making a quick buck.

Anyone else have experiences with uber? Seems shitty to work for but as a customer I had a good experience.

i took an Uber for the first time last August, I was up in Louisville for my nephew's wedding. And we needed one to get over from the airport there, to the rental house we were stating at.. it was a nice experience really.

I had no idea what an Uber was before the day began,,
I love the concept, and think it's great that people can make money that way on their own time. I've never taken one though, just never ended up in a situation where one was required.
(April 30th, 2017 at 12:46 AM)Guardian Wrote: I love the concept, and think it's great that people can make money that way on their own time. I've never taken one though, just never ended up in a situation where one was required.

Everyone should take one at least once... it's a rite of passage! Tongue

We'll see. I like planning ahead. I've only twice rode in a taxi. Once in Las Vegas and another from the airport to a workplace.
I have never taken a taxi in my life !
and i am 55 years old man ...
sheltered live here, obviously
Nice! I also think it depends on location. Where I grew up, taxi's just didn't exist. If you needed a ride you call family or a friend. Around where I live now, they're fairly common and an only form of transportation for some.

The first environment, Uber's success would be kinda iffy.
The second environment, obviously, it's doing well.
well if uber get's it's way... we may be ubering flying cars in 10 years lol.
(May 1st, 2017 at 12:24 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: well if uber get's it's way... we may be ubering flying cars in 10 years lol.

I'm waiting!  Tongue
Flying cars in ten years? Shit! Haha

Anyone remember Back to the Future? They predicted flying cars for 2015. And they had payphones in the movie. No one had any idea cell phones would be the next big innovation. Tongue

(May 1st, 2017 at 3:09 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: And they had payphones in the movie. No one had any idea cell phones would be the next big innovation. Tongue

Goes to show there's no telling how technology advances. Never would have thought it either though.
Yep. And who knows what's next....

Everyone thought it was the smart watch. Nahhh, doesn't seem too popular to be honest.

(May 2nd, 2017 at 1:17 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Yep. And who knows what's next....

Everyone thought it was the smart watch. Nahhh, doesn't seem too popular to be honest.

No....

Ambition was high but you already have a more capable device in your pocket. Why spend more for a more limited device that doesn't have any better functionality or use? 

Someone didn't think it through.
Yeah that's pretty much my thoughts exactly. They are too expensive to justify what little they can do when it's hardly inconvenient just to pull out my phone.

(May 3rd, 2017 at 2:38 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Yeah that's pretty much my thoughts exactly. They are too expensive to justify what little they can do when it's hardly inconvenient just to pull out my phone.

I'm not so sure, I have a pebble smart watch and while it's not as powerful as the apple or android smart watches it's 5 day battery life and the ability to write my own software to it makes up for it, among it's abilities are, the ability to wireless connect to cameras (low powered/resolution ones), a wrist display GPS, a compass, of course being able to use all my smart phone's features with some tweaking as needed, (including controlling spotify and amazon music playback), and sending short text messages via speech to text.

plus the wrist strap pins also doubles as an add on port for adding stuff to it.... it's basically the smartwatch for the programmer/hacker... sadly pebble got bought out by fitbit, but man is their product actually handy... it's also waterproof up to 30 feet so taking it into the pool isn't a problem.

Currently I have it giving me rise and set times for constellations, planets, sun, and moon on the watch face as well as traffic and weather updates.

as a side note, some of the drivers who worked over at pizza hut under me ended up becoming uber and hungry buffs drivers, in both cases they seemed to do fairly well and do that as their main job.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(May 14th, 2018 at 1:03 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote:
(May 3rd, 2017 at 2:38 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Yeah that's pretty much my thoughts exactly. They are too expensive to justify what little they can do when it's hardly inconvenient just to pull out my phone.

I'm not so sure, I have a pebble smart watch and while it's not as powerful as the apple or android smart watches it's 5 day battery life and the ability to write my own software to it makes up for it, among it's abilities are, the ability to wireless connect to cameras (low powered/resolution ones), a wrist display GPS, a compass, of course being able to use all my smart phone's features with some tweaking as needed, (including controlling spotify and amazon music playback), and sending short text messages via speech to text.

plus the wrist strap pins also doubles as an add on port for adding stuff to it.... it's basically the smartwatch for the programmer/hacker... sadly pebble got bought out by fitbit, but man is their product actually handy... it's also waterproof up to 30 feet so taking it into the pool isn't a problem.

Currently I have it giving me rise and set times for constellations, planets, sun, and moon on the watch face as well as traffic and weather updates.

as a side note, some of the drivers who worked over at pizza hut under me ended up becoming uber and hungry buffs drivers, in both cases they seemed to do fairly well and do that as their main job.

I'm pretty sure that makes you the definition of a power user. Tongue

(May 15th, 2018 at 3:40 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(May 14th, 2018 at 1:03 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote:

I'm pretty sure that makes you the definition of a power user. Tongue

I guess lol, but you have to admit, the open source functionality of it coupled with the E-Ink screen and super long battery life really makes it one of the best Smart watches on the market from a usability perspective.
been wearing it for a few years now.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Nope - I've never been in a situation where I would need to take one. I think it's even been five years since I took a regular taxi Tongue .