Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Do dark designs turn you off?

Personally, I don't mind them. I know that's not exactly the norm, but they are easier on my eyes and look more modern to me. A website's design doesn't mean nearly as much to me as its content, however.

What are your general thoughts on websites with dark designs? Would you consider not participating in or visiting a website because of a dark design?

No, unless its content was dark at the same time.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
I like them, but a lot of new ones being created all seem identical to me. As long as they mix it up a bit.
(July 20th, 2014 at 7:28 PM)Guardian Wrote: I like them, but a lot of new ones being created all seem identical to me. As long as they mix it up a bit.

I agree. Lately I can't tell the difference from one "custom" dark design from another. I don't even see the point in doing a custom design when someone already has an inexpensive one that looks almost exactly like what you're about to design. Tongue

To be fair, I'm not sure I have much room to judge. I was picky enough to design my own theme despite there being a plethora of decent ones already "on the market" in the MyBB community. Tongue

Overall, I really don't mind them as long as they are modern and unique. I think it mixes things up a bit from what people expect to see, and that's a good thing.

Hate dark themes Smile absolutely hate them. I like light, modern, and/or sleek themes Smile
For me, dark themes are easy on my eyes, but if due to designer laziness, there is a big f'n white textbox in the middle of all that blackness, I have to resist falcon punching the d*** monitor.

(July 19th, 2014 at 6:37 PM)AcoG000 Wrote: No, unless its content was dark at the same time.

You should look at my forum then. Definitely not the "norm".

I always use dark themes. lol
(August 3rd, 2014 at 5:54 PM)zoldos Wrote:
(July 19th, 2014 at 6:37 PM)AcoG000 Wrote: No, unless its content was dark at the same time.

You should look at my forum then. Definitely not the "norm".

I like the use of the bright aqua text color in the links. It has a bold feel to it.

(August 3rd, 2014 at 5:55 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I like the use of the bright aqua text color in the links. It has a bold feel to it.

Thanks! Smile
I too prefer dark themes, both from having had them on a site I used to run and when viewing web sites.

but then again I use terminals with a green text on black background...

I just like dark themes in general both online and offline... totally 80's cybeprunk man.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I find they often look... cleaner? I don't know it just seems easier to get right with them without them looking cluttered like lighter themes easily can. That said, I don't like dark themes for most niches, works well for select types of forums/as a secondary option. I don't like complete dark either, needs some light colour to spruce it up.
[Image: sig1.png]
I think Dark themes are a lot harder to pull off. You have a lot less colours to play with. Realistically with a good dark design, other than text you can't really go anywhere near the colour white. That includes any lighter colours. With light themes you have a lot more choice and freedom.

Dark themes can be really nice but they have to be done right. 1 Little thing on a dark theme can change the whole feel of the design, because everything feels more "contained" and "together" in a sense.. Light sites have a "free" feeling to it, while a dark site feels more "contained"? Or am I talking nonsense? Tongue
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
for me it's more of a dark future vs bright future kinda thing Cyberpunk FTW! lol but as stated before I love dark themes for that reason.
Yes, they do. I generally don't visit websites or forums with dark/black themes unless there's something I need there. I generally view it as "unprofessional" in a sense.
dark themes are ok as long as the font is visable enough without squinting eyes. but all forums should have plain white default theme just in case
I've always thought green on black was nice, the balance seems palpable without being a turn off... hell I once had a forum with that color pallet lol.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wide/narrow designs Darth-Apple 8 21,430 February 21st, 2015 at 4:01 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Do you create designs to cater to lower screen resolutions? Darth-Apple 0 3,214 November 20th, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  phpbb Nav Bar Off Position 3DWaffle1 0 3,379 November 11th, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Last Post: 3DWaffle1