Makestation
Anyone used Amazon to sell their work? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Creative Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Forum: Creative Writing (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Anyone used Amazon to sell their work? (/showthread.php?tid=976)

Anyone used Amazon to sell their work? - bench91 - April 22nd, 2014

Has anyone been successful with putting their work on Amazon and did you use amazon's createspace to download your works? l am thinking of using createspace to add my work as it seems easy to use.

RE: Anyone used Amazon to sell their work? - Darth-Apple - April 22nd, 2014

Hmm, I've never considered it. I suppose I don't have anything worth really sharing there, but it's an interesting idea nevertheless.

RE: Anyone used Amazon to sell their work? - EHPrybylski - April 23rd, 2014

I have worked for publishers who use Amazon's CreateSpace as their primary platform. Generally speaking this is a good idea, though I wouldn't sign up for their exclusive version - it limits you from selling your work in any other venue for several months.

CreateSpace is a powerful tool for the indie author, but make sure you follow their instructions exactly. Another option (for print) is LightningSource which is owned by Ingram. If you are going to be doing print copies I think LightningSource is going to be your best bet for the most part, however, because their distribution channels are wider than only Amazon.

However, making your book available for sale on Amazon won't mean instant sales. There are many things you should do to develop your "platform" which is your most important marketing tool. Smile

Good luck!

RE: Anyone used Amazon to sell their work? - bench91 - April 23rd, 2014

(April 23rd, 2014 at 12:11 AM)EHPrybylski Wrote: I have worked for publishers who use Amazon's CreateSpace as their primary platform. Generally speaking this is a good idea, though I wouldn't sign up for their exclusive version - it limits you from selling your work in any other venue for several months.

CreateSpace is a powerful tool for the indie author, but make sure you follow their instructions exactly. Another option (for print) is LightningSource which is owned by Ingram. If you are going to be doing print copies I think LightningSource is going to be your best bet for the most part, however, because their distribution channels are wider than only Amazon.

However, making your book available for sale on Amazon won't mean instant sales. There are many things you should do to develop your "platform" which is your most important marketing tool. Smile

Good luck!
Thanks for that l was not aware that you was limited in selling your work elsewhere, l have never heard of lightningsource but l will check them out.

RE: Anyone used Amazon to sell their work? - EHPrybylski - April 25th, 2014

Quote:Thanks for that l was not aware that you was limited in selling your work elsewhere, l have never heard of lightningsource but l will check them out.

It's not CreateSpace that is doing the limitations, there's some other Amazon service I'm trying to remember that does that. LightningSource is a printer owned by Ingram which is one of the largest book distributors on the planet.