Makestation
Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Technology & Hardware (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Windows phone actually worth checking out? (/showthread.php?tid=952)

Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Darth-Apple - April 16th, 2014

Personally, if my username hasn't given this away, I'm an iPhone owner. (And yes, my screen is shattered already. Tongue ) I love my iPhone, but I think there are some things about the androids I would prefer over the iPhones, namely, greater freedoms to really play around with the device a bit more.

However, that said, it seems the main two contenders have been the iPhones and the Androids. The windows phones have gained a bit of popularity, but the interface has annoyed enough people and the app availability has kept it from being as popular as iOS and Android devices have been so far.

What are your thoughts about WIndows phones? Would you ever consider a Windows phone over an Android or iOS device?

RE: Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Takedon - April 22nd, 2014

If you are on a budget and if you want to use it mainly for browsing the internet and listening to music (since there aren't many games out there), you should buy a Nokia Lumia 520. It's really powerful and with the lastest Win 8.1, it will win the budget phones war.

RE: Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Darth-Apple - April 22nd, 2014

I've heard a lot about it, but the device looks a bit odd to me. Maybe I'll take a closer look at the specs at some point.

RE: Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Takedon - April 23rd, 2014

It has a very solid design. Actually, the phone is sturdy too. There is no true reason not to buy it if you are on a budget (except the fact the the Windows Phone isn't that good right now).

RE: Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Warwick - April 24th, 2014

Why are you all saying that Windows Phone are devices for people who are on a budget? There are some high-end level Windows Phone devices out there, such as the Nokia Lumia 1520, and the Samsung Ativ SE.

I don't know why people don't like the interface. I think it is very original and fluid.

My mom has a Windows Phone 7 device (HTC Titan) and it works pretty great. She's not much into games and apps, but me... It runs on the old version of the operating system, and it still does a really good job in terms of browsing the web, checking e-mail, and accessing social networks.

RE: Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Darth-Apple - April 24th, 2014

It's the windows 8 "metro" feel as a whole I think. Some people love it, some hate it. I'm not especially a fan personally, but I haven't used it enough to get the hang of it yet. From what I've heard, it grows on people once they get familiar with it.

RE: Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Electric2Shock - October 15th, 2014

I'm aiming for the Lumia 730 the next time I buy a smartphone.

RE: Windows phone actually worth checking out? - Thomas - May 21st, 2019

A real shame what happened to WP.

RE: Windows phone actually worth checking out? - SpookyZalost - May 22nd, 2019

@ thomas, it was inevitable, microsoft has had a long history of failing to get into the mobile market.

I'm more surprised they didn't release an Xbox-portable to compete with nintendo and sony.

that being said, if you really want that metro UI experience, you can load a custom shell on android Tongue