Makestation
What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Web Design & Internet (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+--- Thread: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? (/showthread.php?tid=826)

What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Darth-Apple - February 1st, 2014

Unless you're going the free forum hosting route, the costs of running a forum can go through the roof pretty quickly. With cheap hosting and a decent domain provider, you should be able to get hosting + a domain for around $70/year, which isn't bad, but that doesn't include any costs for premium themes, plugins, etc...

Personally, I'm budgeting around $100/year for the hosting + the domain, and an additional $50-60/month for plugins and themes. ($17 spent already for 2014 Tongue )

What do you typically budget for your forums and websites?

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - spork985 - February 10th, 2014

$100/year? Are you kidding? I'm paying around $2400/year now.

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Darth-Apple - February 10th, 2014

(February 10th, 2014 at 11:03 PM)spork985 Wrote: $100/year? Are you kidding? I'm paying around $2400/year now.

O.O

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Thomas - February 21st, 2015

Probably $340 a year for domains and my mediatemple hosting

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Guardian - April 9th, 2017

I used to spend a few hundred but now I've let my sites sit idle and only pay $31 per year. I've got a great host! Wink

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - brian51 - May 7th, 2017

I just wanted to thank all of you guys for supporting these types of sites for the members enjoyment

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Darth-Apple - May 7th, 2017

(April 9th, 2017 at 3:14 AM)Guardian Wrote: I used to spend a few hundred but now I've let my sites sit idle and only pay $31 per year. I've got a great host! Wink

That's great! You still on Spork's host? 

I've got everything on one VPS now I suppose and it works good. I've got a separate VPS for chatcave.me. I've actually still got it up and running believe it or not. Wish that one ran for 31/month. Unfortunately that one's a little more expensive.  Dodgy

Oh, and on a side note, what ended up becoming of someimage? 

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Guardian - May 7th, 2017

(May 7th, 2017 at 4:46 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: That's great! You still on Spork's host? 

I've got everything on one VPS now I suppose and it works good. I've got a separate VPS for chatcave.me. I've actually still got it up and running believe it or not. Wish that one ran for 31/month. Unfortunately that one's a little more expensive.  Dodgy

Oh, and on a side note, what ended up becoming of someimage? 

Yeah, it's awesome. Haven't noticed any downtime issues, great pricing, serves my needs exactly.

PM'ing you...

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - SpookyZalost - May 31st, 2017

you know I've thought about paying for the right to use ZalostNeo.Technology before as a place to host my blog but this definitely gives me a good general idea on how much a website costs to own and run.

how do you guys typically pay to run these sites?
Advertisements?
Side jobs?
Donation drives?
etc.

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Thomas - October 26th, 2018

Still the same, $340. My mediatemple hosting has been incredible so far. Absolutely no downtime issues ever.

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - SpookyZalost - October 30th, 2018

$0, but I'm not running a forum or a major website.

I might take neocities up on their $5 a month offer though for a bandwidth increase depending on how big I get modding things...
my next project?
using some stuff I scavenged from a broken coffee maker to make a brand new one... maybe.

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Guardian - October 31st, 2018

(October 30th, 2018 at 4:52 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: using some stuff I scavenged from a broken coffee maker to make a brand new one... maybe.

Tongue That would be cool, very thrifty. The mustachian and zero-waste communities would love it.

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Darth-Apple - October 31st, 2018

(October 30th, 2018 at 4:52 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: $0, but I'm not running a forum or a major website.

I might take neocities up on their $5 a month offer though for a bandwidth increase depending on how big I get modding things...
my next project?
using some stuff I scavenged from a broken coffee maker to make a brand new one... maybe.

You should check out Ramnode. $5/month gets you a decent little VPS with 2+TB of bandwidth and total control over your server. Big Grin

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - SpookyZalost - November 1st, 2018

shoot, think I can get them to become my ISP? lol.

comcast limiting me to 1tb of bandwidth wouldn't be an issue but family... you know?

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - Darth-Apple - November 2nd, 2018

I’m not too much of a fan of Comcast to be honest... they definitely aren’t the most consumer friendly company in existence...

RE: What do you typically budget for your forums and websites? - SpookyZalost - November 2nd, 2018

true, but they're the only option if yiou want more than 0.8mbps upload right now :\