Makestation
Web browser preference - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Web Design & Internet (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+--- Thread: Web browser preference (/showthread.php?tid=59)

Pages: 1 2 3

Web browser preference - Darth-Apple - May 23rd, 2013

I think many computer nerds are beyond thankful that internet explorer isn't the only option for web browsers out there. I personally use Firefox. What's your preference? Be sure to vote in the poll!

Re: Web browser preference - Gmdykfuiygh66476 - May 23rd, 2013

Chrome Tongue

Re: Web browser preference - Durfsurn - May 25th, 2013

Oh god not IE! Anyway as I said in the google vs bing thread it is Chrome for me. I used to use Firefox before I got an iPad for school and then an iPhone and that's when I got chrome for the cross compatibility. Also as Darth Apple said in another thread the convenience of having a URL and search bar in one is handy.

Re: Web browser preference - Darth-Apple - May 25th, 2013

I honestly don't understand why anyone even uses IE at all. Actually, from the perspective of a webmaster, usually many hours are spent just getting something to look usable in IE, whereas it just works by default in Chrome and Firefox. IE is a mess if you ask me.

The whole idea of IE is a mess. Surely someone like MS can do better with all of they're talent and money.

I actually wonder if MS employees even use IE for their own personal web browsing. I know if I was employed by MS I wouldn't be using IE.

Lol I wonder too.

What is konquerer?

It's a popular web browser for linux users. For many linux users it's also their file browser.

I personally don't love it, but it has a decent user base.

Re: Web browser preference - Gmdykfuiygh66476 - May 25th, 2013

I'm using.. um.. thunar as my file browser...

I think it's the default file browser for KDE, although I don't particularly care for KDE.

Xfce too Tongue

Ah, I wasn't aware that it was also the default for Xfce. I might install Xfce on my install of Ubuntu soon just to see what it's like. I have heard good things about it, so I think it's probably worth trying.

I uninstalled thunar and just used plain nautilus.. but then the move to trash option was gone and delete didn't work in the right click menus, so yeah Tongue

nautilus has been a bit of a mess lately. Seems like it's slowly getting cleaned up, but it needs work.

Re: Web browser preference - simlink - May 29th, 2013

I think IE needs a good refresh. It's still better than FF, IMO. FF hasn't worked for me for a long time. Back when their release numbering made sense (i.e. changing the colour didn't mean a complete 1.x change Tongue) I used it, probably around FF3. So I haven't used in in a long time. In fact, when I had labs in computer labs at my campus this past year I used IE, even though FF was available.

Re: Web browser preference - Darth-Apple - May 29th, 2013

They need to simplify their interface. I think that all of the features and extensions they've tried to add only make things worse, to be honest. If they made it feel a lot more like Google Chrome, that alone would be a pretty good accomplishment.

Re: Web browser preference - simlink - May 29th, 2013

For sure. It's a little clunky, though IE10 is a bit of an improvement. I don't like the tabs/URL bar layout, though. But it's not terrible.

Re: Web browser preference - Darth-Apple - May 29th, 2013

Seems like microsoft is on the right track, but it still needs work in my opinion. It's improving slightly each release though. Big Grin