Makestation
Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Area 52 (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Current Events (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? (/showthread.php?tid=53)

Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - Darth-Apple - May 22nd, 2013

Ten years ago, the idea that practically everyone above the age of 11 would have a cell phone was laughable, to say the least. Of course the use of the cell phone has become a very integral part of society since then, but the prices still have yet to reflect that.

Many people are still used to paying bills upwards of $120/month just to get unlimited 3G/4G service, and now LTE is beginning to take the spotlight. Such high prices are difficult for some, especially the unemployed, to afford. However, cell phone technology is very expensive by nature, so the service bills are naturally high as a result. The question becomes that of whether or not the government should begin to take steps to significantly subsidize such an essential service as technology continues to grow. Be sure to vote in the poll!

Re: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - Gmdykfuiygh66476 - May 22nd, 2013

I'm torn honestly. There are services for people with a low income that offer it for free (not to mention if you're not making enough money to pay for 4G, LTE, or a smartphone itself you dont need one), but those that make plenty of money should be able to easily afford it.

Down the line though, I can see it become even more integral than it is now, so maybe not right NOW, but later on.

RE: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - Guardian - June 2nd, 2018

Absolutely not. As stated above, there are programs for low-income to afford it. Those that can, do.

The cost would just be passed on to the taxpayer, and just like healthcare, government subsidies would actually drive the cost up.

RE: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - SpookyZalost - June 3rd, 2018

in an ideal world we'd use tablet's for everything along with wearable tech and thus free internet everywhere would solve this... but we're a capitalist society so... I agree with the above.

RE: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - Guardian - June 3rd, 2018

(June 3rd, 2018 at 9:22 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: in an ideal world we'd use tablet's for everything along with wearable tech and thus free internet everywhere would solve this... but we're a capitalist society so... I agree with the above.

Once the whole planet is covered with the infrastructure, the primary costs would just be maintaining the system. Ideally, there would be a plethora of companies providing services to drive costs down to a minimal.

Think landline telephone service. Almost every home has a line, so the cost is just maintaining the infrastructure.

RE: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - SpookyZalost - June 3rd, 2018

(June 3rd, 2018 at 3:12 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 3rd, 2018 at 9:22 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: in an ideal world we'd use tablet's for everything along with wearable tech and thus free internet everywhere would solve this... but we're a capitalist society so... I agree with the above.

Once the whole planet is covered with the infrastructure, the primary costs would just be maintaining the system. Ideally, there would be a plethora of companies providing services to drive costs down to a minimal.

Think landline telephone service. Almost every home has a line, so the cost is just maintaining the infrastructure.

now you're speaking my language Big Grin

but wireless so I can just log into it from wherever.

RE: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - Guardian - June 3rd, 2018

(June 3rd, 2018 at 9:27 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: but wireless so I can just log into it from wherever.

That's what I was talking about. Still not available in many places. The Western world is lucky, because we usually do.

There's a lot of work to do yet.

RE: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - SpookyZalost - June 5th, 2018

hmm... what would be nice is airdrop deployable wifi relays... just fly over an area with weak signal, drop a relay and it automatically logs into the nearest public wifi signal and relays it.

RE: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - Guardian - June 5th, 2018

(June 5th, 2018 at 7:22 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: hmm... what would be nice is airdrop deployable wifi relays... just fly over an area with weak signal, drop a relay and it automatically logs into the nearest public wifi signal and relays it.

Sounds like a perfectly good idea to develop it for militaries, then expand into civilian use.

RE: Should governments subsidize the cell phone service? - SpookyZalost - June 6th, 2018

(June 5th, 2018 at 9:03 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 5th, 2018 at 7:22 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: hmm... what would be nice is airdrop deployable wifi relays... just fly over an area with weak signal, drop a relay and it automatically logs into the nearest public wifi signal and relays it.

Sounds like a perfectly good idea to develop it for militaries, then expand into civilian use.

indeed lol