Makestation
Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Technology & Hardware (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Darth-Apple - September 6th, 2013

Personally, I think we are still a few years off before that happens, but I wouldn't be surprised. What is your opinion? Will tablets replace laptops?

Don't forget to vote in the poll!

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Marc - September 6th, 2013

Not for anytime soon. I own two tablets, but they can't replace my laptop. For a start, my laptop can run most PC games with great graphics. The GPU in those Windows tablets can't really compete with the one under the hood of my laptop, lol. Another thing is, tablets do not come with keyboards. Sure, a low amount comes with attachment keyboards (I think it was a Windows RT or 8 Pro tablet - not sure) but the majority don't include it. I know what you're thinking.. Average Joe can buy a bluetooth keyboard and connect it to the tablet, but why do that when my laptop already has a good working keyboard built into it? I can't see me replacing my laptop for a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard, sorry.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Gmdykfuiygh66476 - September 9th, 2013

Not for the time being at least. I honestly don't like tablets near as much as a laptop, they're more functional and if you ask me, they just... feel a lot easier to use. Now for the desktop vs laptop debate, that may be a different story for some people.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Darth-Apple - September 9th, 2013

(September 9th, 2013 at 2:23 AM)cheesesc4 Wrote: Not for the time being at least. I honestly don't like tablets near as much as a laptop, they're more functional and if you ask me, they just... feel a lot easier to use. Now for the desktop vs laptop debate, that may be a different story for some people.

Agreed. I've always preferred laptops personally, although the market might change in the next ten years.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Tyler - September 9th, 2013

I think they will but not yet, in a couple of years. Tongue
They're already pretty popular though.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Sabs - April 24th, 2014

(September 6th, 2013 at 2:08 AM)Marc Wrote: Not for anytime soon. I own two tablets, but they can't replace my laptop. For a start, my laptop can run most PC games with great graphics. The GPU in those Windows tablets can't really compete with the one under the hood of my laptop, lol. Another thing is, tablets do not come with keyboards. Sure, a low amount comes with attachment keyboards (I think it was a Windows RT or 8 Pro tablet - not sure) but the majority don't include it. I know what you're thinking.. Average Joe can buy a bluetooth keyboard and connect it to the tablet, but why do that when my laptop already has a good working keyboard built into it? I can't see me replacing my laptop for a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard, sorry.
Yeah I've never used a Windows tablet but I can imagine that they don't have as much power as a laptop. The only advantage that a tablet has is that it's more portable and I believe they are making smaller laptops these days anyway so that's not really an issue.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Warwick - April 24th, 2014

I don't see that happening anytime soon. Unless they make some breakthroughs in terms of photo and video editing, I don't really see how people could use tablets to do the type of work one can do on a laptop.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - RuthB - April 25th, 2014

Tablets in their present form have limitations and I don't think they will ever match laptops for functionality.

As a writer who is also a touch typist, I use a laptop keyboard to write very fast. I hate using an onscreen keyboard.

I always prefer to use a keyboard and thumb pad rather than a touch screen and, particularly when I'm writing. I really don't want to be restricted to using one finger to touch one letter at a time.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - yourbezzie - August 3rd, 2014

I also think it will be a while off if it does happen, but I hope it doesn't!

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - CapTon - August 3rd, 2014

I don't think so.

The way Microsoft and Apple are going about making their tablets, laptops would be the better option. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and it has an insane amount of bugs and problems.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Electric2Shock - August 4th, 2014

There's time left. I'll probably get an all-purpose phablet like the Lumia 1520 before a laptop, but not a tablet unless it gives me an absolutely necessary feature.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - SpookyZalost - May 19th, 2017

so, it's been 3 years, has your opinions on this changed?

I personally hope for the cyberdeck to be the next big form factor rather than tablets... as nice as they are.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Darth-Apple - May 20th, 2017

It's been three years, and I honestly think it's already happening! The surface is a pretty popular hybrid concept that people seem to be embracing more and more. And chromebooks are taking over and who knows, tablet form factors may come as well more and more on the platform too. I've seen plenty of ipads that have external keyboards now as well.

Honestly you can't replace being able to type easily, but tablets are becoming more and more powerful and it's easy to tack on one. Google is supposedly developing a new OS to replace android and Chrome OS too, so we shall see.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Guardian - May 20th, 2017

If I would have answered when the thread was created I would say absolutely not.

Things have progressed to the point where it is entirely possible. I still have a laptop but have already decided to get a desktop the next time I get a new computer. For anything I needed the laptop for, I can now do on a tablet or even a smartphone. If everyone goes this way, or the cyberdecks that Spook loves, then the are definitely on the way out.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - SpookyZalost - May 20th, 2017

(May 20th, 2017 at 2:37 AM)Guardian Wrote: If I would have answered when the thread was created I would say absolutely not.

Things have progressed to the point where it is entirely possible. I still have a laptop but have already decided to get a desktop the next time I get a new computer. For anything I needed the laptop for, I can now do on a tablet or even a smartphone. If everyone goes this way, or the cyberdecks that Spook loves, then the are definitely on the way out.

eh I think I'll stick with my IBM W500 laptop and my cyberdeck when I finish it... the desktop I have now is a beast so for gaming it really can't be beat... especially for touch screen stuff lol. 23" touch screen for the win!  Cool

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - Darth-Apple - May 20th, 2017

Gaming is one area where I doubt tablets and laptops will truly replace a dedicated desktop rig. Even in laptops, integrated graphics have come a hell of a long way, but you can't replace a dual-card setup with top-line Nvidia cards. You just can't do that in laptops. I don't really see that changing. High end gaming has a niche that is most likely here to stay.

RE: Do you think Tablets will replace Laptops? - SpookyZalost - May 20th, 2017

(May 20th, 2017 at 6:37 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Gaming is one area where I doubt tablets and laptops will truly replace a dedicated desktop rig. Even in laptops, integrated graphics have come a hell of a long way, but you can't replace a dual-card setup with top-line Nvidia cards. You just can't do that in laptops. I don't really see that changing. High end gaming has a niche that is most likely here to stay.

on the other hand, as someone who has a desktop with a touch screen, I have to say that for RTS, and Turn based strategy games, nothing beats a touch screen for precise and quick actions against other players, a mouse just can't compete with natural gestures.
Controllers are great for side scrollers and platformers.
and mice are better for FPS games where precision is important.

that being said I wouldn't mind it if RTS and Turn based strategy games like Civ, Age of empires, and 4X games like master of orion and sins of a solar empire made their way onto tablets and hybrid portables, provided the screen was big enough this would be a comfortable way to game.