Makestation
Coronavirus - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Area 52 (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Current Events (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Coronavirus (/showthread.php?tid=2743)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Coronavirus - Darth-Apple - March 3rd, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-vaccine-push-back/index.html

I know we have multiple countries represented here at MS. (Some in Canada, Europe, and the US). Here in the US, there's a lot of talk going on about it. Most people don't really seem too terribly worried about it yet. Maybe concerned. But not in a state of panic. 

It's not that the virus has been proven to be extremely deadly (although deadly it is). We do know that Ebola was far worse, and much more serious. The issue with the Coronovirus is that we know very little about it. It's something that is pretty much completely new. We can't treat it the way that we treat the flu. We can't vaccinate against it the same way. 

What are your thoughts on the spread of the virus? How is it affecting your hometown or country?

RE: Coronavirus - Guardian - March 3rd, 2020

I work for a government agency that has a large mix of foreign-born individuals that travel the world, and other agents that also travel the world, and they're doing nothing. Just saying "Wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough."

Its honestly annoying.

RE: Coronavirus - Darth-Apple - March 3rd, 2020

Yea, we get similar reactions in my town. The issue is that it affects everyone, and not just those that are in good health. If the virus spreads, the elderly or physically ill are more likely to get sick as well. Just because *most* people aren't dying from it doesn't mean it's not serious.

Do any of your coworkers routinely travel to areas where it is more prevalent (china and beyond)?

RE: Coronavirus - Guardian - March 3rd, 2020

(March 3rd, 2020 at 3:49 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Yea, we get similar reactions in my town. The issue is that it affects everyone, and not just those that are in good health. If the virus spreads, the elderly or physically ill are more likely to get sick as well. Just because *most* people aren't dying from it doesn't mean it's not serious.

Do any of your coworkers routinely travel to areas where it is more prevalent (china and beyond)?

Not specifically China, but we do have some Middle Easter and African travelers. The Middle East is the worrying one now that Iran is a hotbed and has already spread to some other Middle Eastern countries.

The elderly or otherwise medically compromised do seem to be having a hard time with it.

RE: Coronavirus - Darth-Apple - March 4th, 2020

Once it spreads out in Iran, as you say, yea...

Pretty much the whole region is going to be affected. Israel is nearby and is a major travel center for people from all over the world. They have already started canceling some flights due to it.

RE: Coronavirus - Guardian - March 9th, 2020

Confirmed case in the city I work. This is near DC. Things are going to get interesting...

RE: Coronavirus - Darth-Apple - March 9th, 2020

That’s not good. We got a confirmed case about two hours away as well. Gas prices have been dropping nationwide as a result of it.

Hopefully they are able to contain it! DC gets a lot of international traffic, so it’s going to be a bit of a hotspot in some ways. NYC already is.

RE: Coronavirus - Guardian - March 9th, 2020

Yeah. They're acting like its contained but you're contagious for days before you have symptoms, so its gonna be about a week before we see how much the damage is here.

RE: Coronavirus - Darth-Apple - March 9th, 2020

The stock market just crashed as a result of it...

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/09/dow-jones-drops-record-2000-points-coronavirus-progressives-say-response-should

Record drop. We're about to have the Great Recession, vs. 2.

RE: Coronavirus - Guardian - March 10th, 2020

Yeah, people panicking way too early. I get it, but the way its happening its almost like people want it to happen. Solid investors (like Buffet) don't move but wait for drops like this to invest his cash reserves ($20 billion). Its how he keeps getting richer and other people lose everything. The dolts.

Just waiting for what looks like the bottom and then am going to pour every last dime I have into index funds. During all of this mess, I haven't sold anything (and won't).

RE: Coronavirus - Darth-Apple - March 10th, 2020

I don't plan on it either. Heck, if it continuse to go down, I'll do like you and buy more once it looks like it's bottoming out. Finna

RE: Coronavirus - brian51 - March 10th, 2020

i think Italy has fully quarrenteend itself now

(March 10th, 2020 at 2:31 AM)brian51 Wrote: i think Italy has fully quarrenteend itself now

That's such a scary thought. I don't think we're really above the possibility. It could definitely happen here too.

RE: Coronavirus - brian51 - March 10th, 2020

Just stick together and stay strong, we will get thru this

RE: Coronavirus - Guardian - March 10th, 2020

(March 10th, 2020 at 12:31 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I don't plan on it either. Heck, if it continuse to go down, I'll do like you and buy more once it looks like it's bottoming out. Finna

The 2008 recession actually created more millionaires than any other period in US history. Those people played it smart. It also broke a lot of people. You just have to try and play the game instead of being a game piece. Hard to do depending on circumstances, but just do the best you can.

As for Italy, yeah the Northern half was quarantined (16 million) to try and keep it from spreading to the Southern half.

(March 10th, 2020 at 2:46 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(March 10th, 2020 at 12:31 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I don't plan on it either. Heck, if it continuse to go down, I'll do like you and buy more once it looks like it's bottoming out. Finna

The 2008 recession actually created more millionaires than any other period in US history. Those people played it smart. It also broke a lot of people. You just have to try and play the game instead of being a game piece. Hard to do depending on circumstances, but just do the best you can.

As for Italy, yeah the Northern half was quarantined (16 million) to try and keep it from spreading to the Southern half.

I truly hope they have a breakthrough and get a vaccine for this soon. If so, we just have to wait it out in the meantime... 

And I plan on it... I just need to stay afloat. Living paycheck to paycheck while I get ready to graduate. Finna

RE: Coronavirus - Lain - March 13th, 2020

So over the last few days, I've heard all sorts of stuff about Corona and decided to share some perhaps not widely-known prevention measures.

1. Meth can inhibit the spread of Influenza A. As terrible as it sounds. But, it's a peer reviewed article, so if you have military surplus Pervitins sitting around, then that might be your way out. Or rob your local pharmacy for desoxyn 5mgs. Who cares, I sure don't.
2. The Flu shot can increase your risk of catching a (different) respiratory illness. So, if you already had your flu shot, sucks. But if you were planning on getting it because of shills saying 'it's just like the flu!' then perhaps think again, because Corona generally only kills people when it gets into their lungs, thus resembling a respiratory illness.
3. Vitamin D can help reduce risk of contracting a respiratory illness. Stock up on that instead of TP.
4. If you do get the respiratory infection (when it gets into your lungs instead of just like a normal flu, most cases,) two weeks self-quarantine isn't enough, you should take at least three, up to a month. It can last up to 37 days in the respiratory tract, but in most cases the median is 20 days (three weeks give or take). This doesn't mean it's transmissible for the entire duration that it can be detected, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

RE: Coronavirus - Guardian - March 14th, 2020

Yeah... the flu shot rarely works, does spreading of its own, and now its known to make you susceptible to other illnesses. Can we just end the flu shot already? Its dumb. The only time my family has ever had the flu, is when we got the shot, or came in contact with someone the few days following them getting the shot.

As for stocking up, yes, Vitamin D and Vitamin C and stuff that contains them... stock up on that. Not TP.