Makestation
I bought a Mac - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Technology & Hardware (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: I bought a Mac (/showthread.php?tid=1494)

I bought a Mac - Darth-Apple - May 10th, 2017

Windows is nothing but a big frustration for me. My PC has Windows 10 on it, and is in desperate need of a reinstall. Buggy, slow, and a total mess to say the least. But perhaps the most frustrating aspect for me is that, being that I do not use the computer often, maybe once a month or so when I need to pay bills, every time I need to start it up I have to wait upwards of an hour oftentimes just to see automatic updates finish up before I can even use my PC. 

That was the last straw. I'm going back to college to finish my degree shortly and I need something way better. 

Bought a 2012 Macbook pro 13 inch, put the latest MacOS on there, and I'm up to speed and rolling. Absolutely love it. It actually works. The display resolution could be better, 1280x800 will take some getting used to, but that's absolutely 100% my only complaint. All I have to say is that I hope Mac stays around. I think I'm more or less an Apple convert for life now. Tongue

RE: I bought a Mac - Guardian - May 10th, 2017

Well, if you like it, congratulations! Cool

Wouldn't convert myself, mainly because I play a lot of games and Mac doesn't have versions for a lot. ...and there's thing about old dogs and new tricks. Tongue

RE: I bought a Mac - Darth-Apple - May 11th, 2017

Haha definitely feel ya there.

It's definitely a different kind of experience. I hardly know how to use Windows anymore, so it's alright for me. Our computers at work are still Windows 7 based so that's as far as my experience with Windows really goes. Tongue

I guess the software thing will be an issue. Mac's are great, but don't have the same footing that Windows does in the market. Heck, even Linux has gained some steam, but for gaming, Windows i suppose remains the standard. Tongue

RE: I bought a Mac - brian51 - May 11th, 2017

Ya i liked windows 7, and for its time and back in the day my favorite OS was always windows XP !!!

RE: I bought a Mac - Guardian - May 11th, 2017

(May 11th, 2017 at 1:56 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: I guess the software thing will be an issue. Mac's are great, but don't have the same footing that Windows does in the market. Heck, even Linux has gained some steam, but for gaming, Windows i suppose remains the standard. Tongue

Yeah, if I ditched Microsoft, it would be for Linux Mint.  Cool

RE: I bought a Mac - SpookyZalost - May 19th, 2017

you know I bought a mac too a while back...
but not what you'd expect Wink

[Image: snap38.jpg]

I have 4 working ones now, OS9 Heart

though the most powerful one is running power PC linux lol  Tongue

RE: I bought a Mac - Darth-Apple - May 20th, 2017

Holy shit that thing is old! Macs were innovative back in the day. Pretty nostalgic stuff.

I want to go to the pawn shop and buy an old macbook some day.

RE: I bought a Mac - Guardian - May 20th, 2017

These are the ones I remember using as a kid:

[Image: Macintosh-Hello.jpg]

RE: I bought a Mac - SpookyZalost - May 20th, 2017

(May 20th, 2017 at 12:52 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Holy shit that thing is old! Macs were innovative back in the day. Pretty nostalgic stuff.

I want to go to the pawn shop and buy an old macbook some day.

haha yeah, the one I have running linux is an old 500mhz, I stuck a gig of ram in it! XD
runs great as a nifty remote NIX server.

RE: I bought a Mac - Darth-Apple - May 20th, 2017

Reminds me of my first computer a bit! I bought it off a neighbor for $5 in middle school. Had a 450 mhz Pentium 3 and 96mb of RAM.

Couldn't run Windows XP and I wasn't about to put 98 on there. Can't remember if Vista was around at the time yet or not. Ended up putting Ubuntu on there instead and thus my first experience with Linux was born. Oh, the memories. Tongue

I still have a thing for nostalgic technology today.

RE: I bought a Mac - SpookyZalost - May 20th, 2017

see between my techno-paganism and my personal beliefs, I generally try to recycle/reuse old tech before using new tech mainly for 2 reasons, #1 it's cheaper, and #2 if I can do something just as well on the old tech as the new, why not use the tech which not only has more documentation on it, but most likely is easier to fix because less Surface mount bull crap.

also old imac's make great Techno-Scrying Devices lol.

"look deep into the screen, what do you see?"