Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spambot "Harvester Killer"

I saw this today. It's honestly a very neat idea. It basically traps spambots into an infinite loop of reloading the page to fill their database with bogus email addresses. Assuming it works (and xrumer isn't configured to not point to this website anymore), it's a genius idea. 

As such, I've put a link to it here. Anyone heard of this (or this idea) before? 

http://www.spamhelp.org/harvesterkiller/
Thanks given by:
That's awesome! Need it one some different pages I would expect though. Configure my bot not to pull from pages with * or domains with * in it. Overall I love the idea though.
Thanks given by:
That's my concern with it. It'd be too easy for someone to release a new version of xrumer that blocks it by default.

In theory, the idea could be done without requiring a separate page. It'd be possible to do inline, but doing so would take server resources directly on the website itself.
Thanks given by:
And... works? I mean, looking the site and the last site news dates from 2008... quite sure spambots should have improved since then o.o
Thanks given by:
Didn’t see the 2008 part. There’s no way they haven’t caught on in 12 years.
Thanks given by:
I use it myself (after one of my members recommended it to me).

Not sure how much it's helped, though - since I get plenty of spammers anyway. (Though, fortunately, MyBB's spam protection blocks most of them Big Grin !)
Thanks given by:
Oh that's right, you use MyBB too. It's used to be pretty trash when it came to spam management, but it seems to have gotten better over the years. Zalost would know more that I would on how many we get (he's unofficially the designated Spambot Banner Finna), but it hasn't been too bad lately.
Thanks given by: